The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Berehove city)
Berehove district Church

The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Berehove city)

3, Rakoci sq., Berehove city

The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in the historic Beregovo - this is the most important architectural monument not only to the village but the whole Transcarpathian region. His deep roots care during the first decades of Christianity in Russia. According to the scrawled inscription in one of the windows, the church was erected as early as 1100. The first chronicles evidence alleged construction of the temple, were made in 1247. The church has a magnificent architecture of a mixture of several styles. It has Romanesque features, baroque elements and the dominant Gothic. Such a wide range of styles is associated with a number of reorganizations and destruction of the temple, due to the military history of the area, raiding Tatars and other rebel armies. In addition, the 10-century-long life of the church itself required frequent repairs and renovations. The most significant were made in 1418, 1567, 1900 and 2002. Inside the temple deserve special attention iconostasis and rich wall decor, describing episodes of the history of the church, as well as a sundial - the card of the old building, which continue to indicate the time for 12 th generation of parishioners. Nearby you can appreciate the beauty of the church of St. Mary, located in the village of Upper Koropets.

     

Berehove district

Church Berehove district