The Nevytsky Castle
Uzhgorod district Castle

The Nevytsky Castle

The Nevytsky Castle, towering above the river Uzh at an altitude of 260 m above the sea level, arose as a border fortification of the Hungarian Kingdom in the late thirteenth century. In written sources the first mentions of the castle date back to the early sixteenth century when the war between Charles Robert and the rebelled magnates took place. After the rebellion ended, the previous owners of the castle lost their lands and the castle was transmitted to the ownership of the faithful ally of the king to Yan Drugeth.

Till the early sixteenth century, the castle walls were wooden, but the Drugeths who were familiar with the Italian stone castles, rebuilt the castle several times. As a result of this, on the hill of volcanic origin, soon appeared a gothic castle.

During the XVI – XVII, the Nevytsky Castle was in the center of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation processes, as well as of the struggle between the Austrian Habsburgs and the Transylvanian dukes. The castle was often passed to different members of the Drugeth family who fought among themselves. The struggle for the Nevytsky Castle lasted for a long time and was completed in 1602, when with the support of the Vatican the castle was passed to the ownership of Gyorgy Drugeth III. In 1644 the castle was destroyed by the troops of Gyorgy Rakoczy II and was not rebuilt again.

The Castle was partially restored in the late nineteenth century, when it became the favorite leisure destination of the Uzhhorod citizens. The territory of the castle was cultivated and in 1880 a monument to the famous biologist Karl Wagner was installed. But with the beginning of the First World War the castle and its territory came to desolation. In the 70-80- ies in the castle courtyard were carried archaeological excavations, and it was planned to restore and conserve the castle. But later these works were postponed for an indefinite period.


Uzhgorod district

Castle Uzhgorod district