The Transcarpathian Regional Philarmonic/the former synagogue (Uzhgorod)
Uzhgorod district Museum

The Transcarpathian Regional Philarmonic/the former synagogue (Uzhgorod)

10 Teatraljna Square, Uzhhorod

The building of the Transcarpathian Regional Philarmonic was built in 1904 according to the design by the architects Dyula Poppa and Szabolcs Ferenc (a similar synagogue was built by them in the capital of Austria). The architectural ensemble of the synagogue combines Romanesque, Byzantine and Moorish styles what paid tribute to the European fashion of those times. During the World War II the Jewish community of Uzhgorod has almost disappeared. So, the fate of the synagogue has also changed. In 1947 the Soviet authorities decided to transmit it to the Ministry of Culture of the USSR, which decided to place there the Transcarpathian Regional Philharmonic.

Now here is situated the main regional concert hall with an excellent acoustics, and its particular value is the classic organ music instrument produced by the well-known Czech company «Riger Kloss».

Nowadays here successfully function:  

- The Honored Academic Transcarpathian Folk Choir
- the Chamber Instrumental Ensemble “The Hungarian Melodies”
- the Ensemble of Soloists " TheHarmony"
- the Chamber Orchestra
- The Wind Orchestra
- The Symphony Orchestra

The Grand Concert Hall of the Orchestra:
Number of seats – 500

 

 

Website: philarmonia.uz.ua

  (0312) 63-05-44     (0312) 61-33-22

Uzhgorod district

Museum Uzhgorod district