The Uzhhorod Castle
Uzhgorod district

The Uzhhorod Castle

33 Kapitulna Street, Uzhhorod from 10.00 am till 6.00 p.m.

The Uzhhorod Castle - is the oldest and most imposing structure of modern Uzhhorod, which is situated on a hill of volcanic origin at the intersection of the mountains and the lowland..

According to archaeological finds, the slopes of the Castle Hill served as a place of settlement of people for thousands of years. In the X century here arises a fortified settlement , which later becomes the center of the Ung county.   Its existence was testified by the Hungarian chronicles. According to the «Hungarian Acts», the foundation of the castle is associated with the personality of Duke Laborets in the ІХ century. Like most fortresses, it is situated on a rise and had a favorable position for defense in those days. Previously the castle was surrounded by a protective moat where a river flew, but now the moat is covered with green grass.

During the Mongol-Tatar invasion the castle was destroyed twice in spring of 1241 and 1317. The next mentions of the castle date back to 1499. It belonged to an Italian family of French origin to Dukes Drugeths who ruled in Uzhhorod for 360 years. After the fragmentation of Hungary in 1526 the Uzhhorod castle falls into the area of political interest of the Habsburgs and the Principality of Transylvania.

The reconstruction of the castle which defined its modern look which resembles to a fortification of the early Middle Ages was carried out by Duke Miklos Bercheni (1692). Besides, the castle and Uzhhorod were turned into a cultural center of Northern Hungary.

After the war, the defeat of Ferenc Rakoczy who led the anti-Habsburg rebellion of the Hungarian nobility in 1703-1711, the escape of Bercheni, Uzhhorod and the castle were confiscated. After the Austrian Empire expanded its lands to Galicia, the castle lost its strategic importance


In 1775, at the request of Bishop Andrew Bachinskiy, Maria Theresa donated the castle to the Mukachevo Greek Catholic bishopric, which turned it into a seminary that existed here till 1944. From 1946 up to the present day, the castle houses the Transcarpathian Local History Museum .

Website: zkmuseum.com

     

Uzhgorod district

More Uzhgorod district