The Zhupanat
Uzhgorod district

The Zhupanat

The Zhupanatska Square is situated in the Old Part of Uzhhorod. Its architecture was being created during centuries without a unified project. Although its buildings belong to different periods, generally they create a harmonious ensemble. The basis of it is the former house of Zhupanat, which was built in 1809 in the Late Baroque style. Here were located the administrative services of the Ung County (Zhupa). On the pediment one can see the county emblem - a man with three ears in one hand and three acorns in the other. The emblem symbolizes the productivity and the forest cover of the Uzhanska valley.


Now, here are situated various administrative services and cultural institutions, including, the Transcarpathian Art Museum , which houses more than 200 paintings, drawings and sculptures. Here is the most complete collection of the works of Transcarpathian artists - Munkachi, Revesz, Erdelyi, Bokshay, Svyda, Sholtes… In the museum are also presented the works of famous Ukrainian artists like Shevchenko and Aivazovsky, Russian artists like Surikov and Shishkin and Western artists - Newbie, Kolarzhik, Rudnai and many others. There is also a collection of icons dating to the XVII - XVIII centuries.

     

Uzhgorod district

More Uzhgorod district